Outline of Events for 11th and 12th September 2021
Sunday 12th September 2021 – 100th Anniversary of Erection of War Memorial
It was with regret we had to announce that the 100th anniversary event planned for Sunday 13th September 2020 to mark the erection of our war memorial for the parish of West Down was postponed for a year due to COVID. It will now be held on Sunday 12th September 2021 commencing at 10.30am subject to government COVID guidance at the time.
Outline of events/activities:
- There will be an updated version of the WW1 booklet published for this weekend. This will be available online to read and to download.
- There will be a WW1 display in the Iron Room throughout the weekend starting on the Friday evening. Information about the soldiers who died will also be on display.
- The Sunday service will mirror the one held in 1920 and weather permitting it will be outside by the memorial stone.
- We would very much like a descendant of those named on the memorial read out the name of their family member along with details of their regiment, where they died and are buried. Please contact Andy Odell if you want to be involved. We are currently trying to identify descendants from the list shown below – if that is you please come forward ASAP.
- Refreshments will be provided in the Parish Hall after the service – what form this will take very much depends on the current COVID guidance. The ideal option is for a meal to be served and for there to be no social distancing. The next best option is for bring and share again without social distancing. The least best option is for family/households to bring their own food for self consumption with social distancing (which will reduce numbers able to attend).
A Committee is being formed to oversee the anniversary. We do hope to be face to face meeting from June 2021.
If you want to be on the Committee, help out in any way or have a suggestion about what can happen over this weekend please let me know.
The roles we are looking for are:
- Support with the display in the Iron Room
- Coordinating food in the Parish Hall, setting up and cleaning
- Stewarding at the Church Service both inside and outside
- Family tracing for the reading of the names at the service
- Praying for good weather on the day along with the removal of government restrictions
Andy Odell – email@example.com / 07940 524302
Named on the memorial for WW1:
- Stanley Wood Adams
- Thomas Adams
- Edward Anderton
- Nelson Birch
- Frederick James Chugg
- James Harris
- George Kiff
- William Kiff
- George Lamerton Phillips
- Robert Phillips
- Trevor Llewellyn Phillips
- Walter Edward Phillips
- Frederick ‘Frank’ Thomas Pile
- Mervyn Roach
- John Robbins
- Sydney James Stanbury
- William Frederick Thomas
- Edward John Tucker
- William Henry Tucker
- Richard White
- James Williams
- Reginald James Williams
Although not named on West Down’s War Memorial the following 4 men from West Down, also lost their lives in WW1 and are duly gratefully remembered.
- HENRY JAMES HUXTABLE
- MERVYN THOMAS KING
- SIDNEY PHILLIPS
- WILLIAM JOHN TUCKER
Named on the memorial for WW2:
[1 name to be inserted]