Outline of Events for 11th and 12th September 2021
Sunday 12th September 2021 – 100th Anniversary of Erection of War Memorial
(Updated 11th September 2021)
It was with regret we had to announce that the 100th anniversary event planned for Sunday 13th September 2020 to mark the erection of our war memorial for the parish of West Down was postponed for a year due to COVID. It will now be held on Sunday 12th September 2021 commencing at 10.30am subject to government COVID guidance at the time.
Please note that due to the level of COVID cases in north Devon a review has been undertaken about what events will go ahead over this weekend and in what form. The risk based review has concluded that we need to scale back on some of the planned activities. The final plan is now set out below.
Outline of events/activities:
- There will be an updated version of the WW1 booklet published for this weekend. This will be available online to read and to download. (Update now available)
- There will be a WW1/2 display in the Iron Room throughout the weekend starting on Saturday morning at 10 am. Information about the soldiers who died will also be on display.
- The Sunday service will be similar to the one held in 1920 but extended to last about an hour.
- It will be outside by the memorial stone commencing at 10.30 am.
- We would very much like a descendant of those named on the memorial to read out the name of their family member along with details of their regiment, where they died and are buried. Please contact Andy Odell if you want to be involved. We are currently trying to identify descendants from the list shown below – if that is you please come forward ASAP. Please note that only a few family members have made contact so far.
- Tea/Coffee and biscuits will be provided in the Iron Room after the service. We are also asking for family/households to bring their own tables, chairs and food for self consumption with social distancing in the Churchyard.
In the event of significant inclement weather the majority of the service will be held in St Calixtus and be subject to the COVID provisions set out on the main church page (and notices).
Also, refreshments will be taken inside the church and Iron Room.
A few gazebos will be erected if necessary to provide protection from the weather for Rev Steve and the sound system.
Andy Odell – firstname.lastname@example.org / 07940 524302
Named on the memorial for WW1:
- Stanley Wood Adams
- Thomas Adams
- Edward Anderton
- Nelson Birch
- Frederick James Chugg
- James Harris
- George Kiff
- William Kiff
- George Lamerton Phillips
- Robert Phillips
- Trevor Llewellyn Phillips
- Walter Edward Phillips
- Frederick ‘Frank’ Thomas Pile
- Mervyn Roach
- John Robbins
- Sydney James Stanbury
- William Frederick Thomas
- Edward John Tucker
- William Henry Tucker
- Richard White
- James Williams
- Reginald James Williams
Although not named on West Down’s War Memorial the following 4 men from West Down, also lost their lives in WW1 and are duly gratefully remembered.
- Henry James Huxtable
- Mervyn Thomas King
- Sidney Phillips
- William John Tucker
Named on the memorial for WW2:
Robert William Davis